CLEANR | California Plastic Crisis Conference Series: Impacts and Solutions at Home and Beyond | April & May 2021
Thursday, May 27 at 12:00pm
Join us for this 4-part conference series, hosted by the Newkirk Center for Science and Society and the University of California, Irvine (UCI), that will engage the community in a discussion about the scope of the plastic problem, the impact of plastic pollution in California and beyond, as well as plastic alternatives, and policy solutions.
Conference Series Themes
Participants will learn about:
- Plastic Impacts and Solutions: An overview of the plastic pollution problem and impact on coastal ocean ecosystems, waterways, and public health.
- Plastic Health and Community Impacts, at Home and Abroad: Impacts of plastics on front-line communities in California and how California’s actions affect the global community.
- California Plastic Legislation: The landscape of current and newly introduced California legislation on plastic pollution, specifically plastic waste, recycling and reuse, and reducing plastic.
- Debunking Common Myths and Best Solutions: Debunk common myths and present environmental justice, community-based and regional solutions, best practices, plastic alternatives, and case studies.
We will kick off the series with a special viewing of the film, The Story of Plastic, and a Q&A with Michael O’Heaney, Executive Director of the Story of Stuff, on April 29th at 7pm PST.
Every Thursday in May from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm we will host a virtual panel presentation and discussion on a topic related to plastic pollution.
- May 6th: Plastic Impacts and Solutions
- May 13th: Plastic Health Impacts
- May 20th: Community Impacts, at Home and Abroad
- May 27th: Debunking Common Myths and Best Solutions
On Thursday, May 27th there will be a 30 minute “mingle” session after the conference that is open to all speakers and attendees to have an informal discussion on topics covered throughout the conference series.